This Easy Chorizo Egg and Gruyere cheese casserole is not only scrumptious but you can prepare it ahead and pop in the oven in the morning.
Breakfast or Brunch
If you have been following a while, you know that I love Breakfast and Brunch equally. My go to’s are always savory dishes. I could indulge on a delicious french toast or warm apple caramel cinnamon rolls, but I always go back to savory.
The breakfast I grew up eating was a bit different. We ate empanadillas, chuletas or jamonilla con huevo for breakfast. Once I moved to United States in 1997, I began exploring and expanding my palate. I believe that cooking and eating with ingredients different to our own, is the beginning of expanding our culinary worldview.
I have never heard of everything bagels or bagels for that matter until I moved to the United States. We usually eat bread that we would buy every morning at the Panaderia. So bagels chewy texture was a different thing for me. Also let’s not talk about the different type and how they are made, it really makes a difference (I see you NY bagels!)
I have made different versions of this recipe with ham and potatoes, with bacon and panchetta. I bought a few bags of Franz Cheese Everything Bagel (limited edition) and I was trying to figure out what to do with the remainder bag. Chorizo seems the perfect match for the cheese bagels.
Making this Easy Chorizo Egg and Gruyere Cheese Casserole – with Everything Bagel
This is an easy recipe and just like French Toast you can prepare the night before and all you have to do is pop it in the oven in the morning! Grating your own Gruyere and Fontina make this dish a scrumptious brunch favorite.
For this recipe you will need 3 everything bagels. Cut them in chunks. Butter and prepare a 9×13 pan. Add sazon -this is one of my Puertorican flair add-ons to the dish- to the 12 eggs and whisk lightly. Pour over bagels.
In a skillet, cook chorizo, peppers and onions adding about two tbsp of sofrito – another Puertorican staple I add to pretty much everything – cook until veggies are softened. Do not drain, you will need all the moisture for your bagels. Add this to the egg and bagel mixture and mix until everything is coated. Grate the Gruyere and Fontina cheeses and use it to top bagel, chorizo and egg mixture.
Cover with foil and cook in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 mint to one hour. Let it rest for 15 minutes, top with cilantro, queso fresco and more cheese. You could also add avocado. Enjoy!
This recipe pairs well with a mimosa or a margarita. If having a cocktail early is not your thing, brew a cup of good quality coffee. I usually brew Cafe DuMonde Coffee and Chicory – I find this in the Asian Markets!
Chorizo Egg and Gruyere Cheese Casserole – with Everything Bagel
- 9×13 pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Knife + Cutting Board
- 3 Everything Cheese Bagel I used Franz Everything Cheese Bagel
- 12 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Sazon
- 1 pkg Chorizo links or Grounded I used Johnsonville
- 1/3 cup Green, Red and Red Onions
- 2 tbsp Sofrito
- 1 c Shredded Gruyere Cheese
- 1 c Shredded Fontina Cheese
- Cilantro + Queso Fresco for garnish
- Prepare your casserole dish with butter, make sure that it is well coated.
- Cut the Bagels into 1/2 inch cubes, put into the casserole dish.
- Add sazon to eggs and whisk lightly. Pour over bagels.
- In a skillet, cook chorizo, peppers and onions with the sofrito until veggies are softened.
- Add to the egg and bagel mixture and mix until everything is coated.
- Shred cheese and top bagel, chorizo and egg mixture.
- Cover with foil and cook in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour.